Thinning the Herd

TearDrop

If a major disaster occurred and items like insulin (for example) became less available, clearly this would have a detrimental effect on the affected individuals. While it could be argued that this would be good for the human race in general, that's a pretty cold way to look at it. Would you be personally affected?

I have a chronic condition, but it is mild and I know plenty of alternate therapies. They don't necessarily work as easily (most herbal remedies take more work), but I would not be left high and dry.

Even if you believe the idea of thinning the herd, the truth is that a whole lot of chronic health issues nowadays are environmental issues. So many who would be vulnerable and not necessarily genetically weaker than others.

Jenny

You make a valid point TearDrop. It's called survival of the fittest. I think most folks could do with a lot less and learn about herbal remedies. They just don't realize they can do it.

jagger

I have pretty good health thankfully, but I have family that could not survive without medication and one of them is a child of seven so, even if her illness is a result of our environment, and even allowing for survival of the fittest, it would be pretty grim.

Erdella

It would not directly affect me but I do know of a few people (states away) that would see this as a problem. I also know of one friend close by who is borderline, right now she only needs 1/2 a pill a day but I am not sure how quickly the need for insulin pops up. I guess it is different for everyone.

I have pretty good health thankfully, but I have family that could not survive without medication and one of them is a child of seven so, even if her illness is a result of our environment, and even allowing for survival of the fittest, it would be pretty grim.
Yes, and it should be stated that human compassion is one of our greatest assets, and we should not take lightly the idea that many could die in the absence of modern pharmaceuticals and access to medical procedures. I don't personally see a need for thinning the herd, as it were. I also don't believe a physical weakness defines our personal contributions to the world. Would we consider Stephen Hawking's passing to be a triumph of natural selection?

Trevor

Well, the world's elite have definitely and openly admitted this is how they see most of the world's population. You can read it inside their own books and publications. But, I do not see things like that at all.

marla3

Wow, something I never really thought about. It will not affect me or anyone in my family. When you really think about what you said it does sound really harsh. Survival of the fittest is correct though.

SurvivinIt

Well, there would likely be mass casualties from people who do need daily or regular access to medications. As sad as it is that is just what would happen. However, there would likely be mass casualties before things like running out of medication even became an issue. People who failed to prepare would die from starvation, dehydration, or violence from trying to take from those who did prepare.

Strider

That would definitely trim the less fortunate ones not the worst ones. I don't believe in natural selection as the best way for our kind.